Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:Prince Harry and Meghan asked to vacate royal Frogmore Cottage home as it's reportedly offered to Prince Andrew -Infinite Edge Learning
Johnathan Walker:Prince Harry and Meghan asked to vacate royal Frogmore Cottage home as it's reportedly offered to Prince Andrew
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 01:44:46
London — Prince Harry and Johnathan Walkerhis wife Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have been asked "to vacate" their home in the U.K., Frogmore Cottage, which was given to them by the late Queen Elizabeth II, a spokesperson from the couple's Archewell organization said Wednesday. The statement came after a report in a British newspaper said they had been asked to give up the house by King Charles III, and it was being offered to King Charles' disgraced brother Prince Andrew, who is "resisting" taking up residence in the royal abode, according to the tabloid.
Harry and Meghan, who gave up their full-time royal duties and now live in California with their two children, are arranging to move the rest of their belongings out of the cottage and have them shipped to the U.S., The Sun said.
A spokesperson from Harry and Meghan's Archewell organization said in a statement to CBS News on Wednesday: "We can confirm The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage."
Buckingham Palace offered no comment on the story, and generally does not speak about matters the royal family considers private.
Frogmore Cottage sits on the sprawling grounds of Windsor Castle, the primary home of Britain's monarchs for hundreds of years, just west of London. Harry and Meghan renovated the cottage between 2018 and 2019 at a cost of about 2.4 million pounds (about $2.9 million). The makeover was initially paid for by U.K. taxpayers via the royal family's "Sovereign Grant," but the cost was repaid by Prince Harry.
According to The Sun, after paying back the cost of the renovations, Harry made a deal with his family to continue renting the home for "several years."
After moving to live full-time in California, the couple still kept Frogmore Cottage as their U.K. residence. They celebrated their daughter Lilibet's first birthday there last year and also used it when they came to attend Queen Elizabeth's funeral.
But given the acrimony between the young royals and Harry's family, reportedly strained further by the publication of Harry's tell-all book "Spare" in January, they have largely kept their distance.
In 2020, Harry's cousin Princess Eugenie, Andrew's daughter, and her husband stayed at Frogmore Cottage, but the pair have since moved.
Harry and Meghan were given an eviction notice days after the release of Harry's book, The Sun said, and they have not been offered an alternative U.K. residence by the royal family.
Prince Andrew could reportedly lose his current home on the grounds of the Windsor estate, which he shares with his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, because King Charles is planning on slashing his brother's royal grant, which is effectively an allowance of more than 250,000 pounds per year, The Sun reports.
It remains unclear if Harry and Meghan will be invited to King Charles' coronation ceremony in May.
- In:
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- Meghan Duchess of Sussex
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (2937)
Related
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Athletic director used AI to frame principal with racist remarks in fake audio clip, police say
- As some universities negotiate with pro-Palestinian protestors, others quickly call the police
- Dozens of Climate Activists Arrested at Citibank Headquarters in New York City During Earth Week
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Suspect in fatal shooting of ex-Saints player Will Smith sentenced to 25 years in prison
- Tony Khan, son of Jaguars owner, shows up to NFL draft with neck brace. Here's why.
- Sophia Bush talks sexuality, 'brutal' homewrecker rumors amid Ashlyn Harris relationship
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Body-cam footage shows police left an Ohio man handcuffed and facedown on a bar floor before he died
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Italy bans loans of works to Minneapolis museum in a dispute over ancient marble statue
- Former Slack CEO's 16-Year-Old Child Mint Butterfield Reported Missing
- How your money can grow like gangbusters if you stick to the plan
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- US abortion battle rages on with moves to repeal Arizona ban and a Supreme Court case
- Christy Turlington Reacts to Her Nude Photo Getting Passed Around at Son's Basketball Game
- The economy grew a disappointing 1.6% in Q1. What does it mean for interest rates?
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Dan Rather returns to CBS News for first time since 2005. Here's why
Sophia Bush Details “Heartbreak” of Her Fertility Journey
Forever Young looks to give Japan first Kentucky Derby win. Why he could be colt to do it
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
Utah Republicans to select nominee for Mitt Romney’s open US Senate seat
BNSF becomes 2nd major railroad to sign on to anonymous federal safety hotline for some workers
‘The movement will persist’: Advocates stress Weinstein reversal doesn’t derail #MeToo reckoning